.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Diaper Duty

Hudson had a look of panic. “Daddy, my diaper, my diaper.” I stood there. Did Hudson really just say that? Wow, I didn’t even know he could say the word diaper much less put together a phrase like that. I was really impressed. He’s growing up. But then my proud moment turned into concern. I couldn’t remember the last time I changed him, and I knew Hudson generally doesn’t like his diaper to be changed – that is, unless things had gotten particularly unpleasant … “Oh, okay, Hudson. Sorry. But wow, good job just now.”
We weren’t exactly sure how January would look, though we knew this month would be about preparation. We’re still preparing our house to sell; we just paid for a new roof (ouch). We have long to-do lists of arrangements and China VISA requirements and last-minute doctor visits. We are meeting with people and speaking at a few churches. It is amazing how God brings us together to carry out his work. It’s exciting.
We also have been able to practice the Chinese language. Of course, this often translates into repeating phrases while building foam block castles with Molly and Hudson. But hey, just two days ago, Molly told me, “Dad, I want to speak Chinese,” and Hudson joyfully threw in “wu” (the number “five”) when Molly and I were counting, “yi, er, san, si ...”
Most importantly, though, Dayna and I have been able to devote more time these days in spiritual preparation. God is empowering us and teaching us that he is enough, that we can fully trust him as we move across the globe. And maybe just maybe … God will empower us with great perseverance as we guide Hudson from the land of diapers to the land of potty training. Now that will take much prayer, indeed! Thanks for journeying with us. ~ Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment